Appreciate your heritage and mix what you like. Many Latinos in the United States face the same issue when it comes to dinner. Do we have traditional Latino dishes or American tonight? Burger and Pizza are usually more popular than enchiladas, paella, ropa vieja, sofrito and mole. American meals are typically easier to make and are easily available. Abuelitas usually took hours simmering our favorite foods. Teens now have very busy schedules with school, sports, and friends and don’t have time to cook the traditional dishes of our abuelitas. Quick and easy meals are ideal for the busy teen. What happens when you crave both Latin dishes and American food at the same time? What can you make to eat when you don’t have all evening to prepare a meal? Here are some ways you can incorporate two ethnic foods into one quick amazing entree.
- Border Burger– Mix chorizo into ground beef patties and broil to your liking. Top the burger with avocado slices and tomato, and you’ve created a simple mix of two cultures.
- Spicy Macaroni– Boil a box of macaroni and cheese. Drain the pasta and add cheese, milk and butter. Serve on a plate and add your favorite salsa on top to add a spicy kick.
- Bagel Pizza– Cut a bagel in half, smear tomato sauce and top off with shredded cheese. Add corn, jalapenos and chorizo randomly and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds for a Latin taste.
- Tex-Mex Baked Potato– Place a medium sized potato in a microwave for 3 minutes, cut it open and add butter and sour cream, mix well. Top it off with chili powder and cheese for a quick Tejano taste. (Optional add cilantro.)
- Strawberry Limonada– Squeeze the lime juice from 20 limes into a 2 quart pitcher with water and add sugar. Chop fresh strawberries and slices of lime without the skin and add to the pitcher. Add 3 tablespoons of strawberry syrup and mix well for a refreshing agua fresca.
- Chile Con Queso Dip– Open a can of chili beans and add shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes and onion. (optional: heat it up in the microwave for 30 seconds and mix well) Open a bag of chips and enjoy your flavorful Latin creation.
Try these simple creations to satisfy your American and Latin tastes. Wow your family with these quick recipe ideas that will leave them hungry for more of your Latina flair.