Do you ever feel like the most rushed and crazy part of the day happens right after your alarm rings in the morning to the moment you step out the door? Well, you are not alone! Whether it’s school, work or practice that you are waking up for, most girls can agree that mornings are not always a walk in the park! Between trying to pick out an outfit, doing your hair, applying makeup and getting your bag ready, it easy to forget to eat the most important meal of the day, breakfast!
We are all guilty of taking an extra ten minutes on our hair, rushing out of the door with an empty stomach and having to deal with embarrassing stomach growls until lunchtime. It is easy to forget that eating breakfast can make your day run a lot more smoothly. According to the American Dietetic Association, children and teens who consume a healthy breakfast behave better and perform better in school and they are able to remain focused until the next meal. This explains why you may feel sluggish or sleepy throughout the day when you skip breakfast. Skipping breakfast also decreases your metabolism and may cause you to overeat at lunchtime. People who eat breakfast regularly have a good metabolism, and can keep a healthy weight.
Taking a couple of minutes out of your busy morning to eat breakfast is definitely worth it! Check out theses delicious breakfast ideas that are perfect for a girl on-the-go!
Banana Breakfast Bread
- 1/2 Small Banana
- 2 Slices Wheat bread
- Toast the bread
- Cut each slice in half
- Cut banana in small slices
- Lay three slices of banana on each half and spread with a butter knife
- Sprinkle Cinnamon toast seasoning on each half
- If you don’t have the seasoning available you can use ground cinnamon and truvia (sugar)
Pina Colada Yogurt Parfait
- 1/3 cup(s) reduced-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup(s) crushed canned pineapple, or canned mandarin oranges
- 1 tablespoon(s) coconut
- Top yogurt with pineapple (or canned mandarin oranges) and coconut.
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) plain fat-free yogurt
- 3 to 4 bananas, peeled, cut into chunks
- 14 ounces strawberries, stems removed, roughly chopped to equal 3 cups
- 1/4 cup skim milk or soy milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup ice
- Gradually add all ingredients to the jar of a blender; puree until smooth. Serve.
(Smoothies can be prepared the night before and refrigerated overnight!)
- A bowl of fiber-rich bran flakes (about 1½ cups)
- Lemon or vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup of nuts or fresh or dried fruit, such as chopped pecans or blueberries.
- Combine all the ingredients!
(Make it portable by replacing the milk with and mixing it in a to-go container.)
- 2 flour tortillas (regular or whole-wheat)
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar
- Several thin slices of a Granny Smith apple
- Sprinkle an even layer of cheese over one tortilla.
- Scatter the apple slices on top of the cheese and top with the remaining tortilla.
- Microwave for 30 seconds or until the cheese melts.
- For a crisper tortilla, use a large skillet and crisp for 1-2 minutes on both sides, until the cheese is melted.
- Cut into 6-8 wedges.
- 4 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 slices whole-grain toast
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon shelled pistachios
- Spread nonfat Greek yogurt on whole-grain toast.
- Drizzle each with honey.
- Sprinkle each with shelled pistachios.
- Serve immediately.