Latinitas offers community workshops and presentations focused on helping girls build confidence through creative multimedia expression. Outreach Workshops are collaborative programs held in partnership with local youth groups to offer girls an opportunity to participate in fun and engaging media lessons designed to develop skills and spark interest.
EL PASO WORKSHOPS
- MOTHER & DAUGHTER WORKSHOPS (EL PASO, TX) 10935 Ben Crenshaw #207, El Paso, TX from 10:00am-1:00pm; Mother & Daughter workshops offer an opportunity for moms and daughters to bond over fun confidence-building activities and creative expression.
- BE YOUNIQUE (March 1) - hands-on activities on self-esteem, body image, bullying & inner beauty.
- SPA & WELLNESS (March 15) – relax and rejuvenate with fun activities related to nutrition, confidence, de-stress and fitness.
- COLLEGE CHICA (April 5 ) – start preparing for your future, reach your goals and explore higher education opportunities.
- Workshops are $5 per person. A limited number of scholarships are available. To register, call 915.219.8554, email firstname.lastname@example.org or register online at: http://laslatinitas.com/programs/registration
- WONDER WOMEN! INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY: March 8 – (10:30am-2:30pm; Main Public Library -1400 N. Oregon) Celebrate girl power with a film screening of “Wonder Women,” art, poetry and musical activities. The FREE workshop is presented by AAUW.
- CINEMA CHICAS: March 22 – (10am-2pm; EPCC Valle Verde Campus) Girls ages 11-17 are invited to get an insider sneak peek with PBS to learn about writing a script, acting, filming and video editing to create their own short film. $5 covers lunch.
To register, call 915.219.8554, email email@example.com or register online at: http://laslatinitas.com/programs/registration
PARENT-DAUGHTER WORKSHOPS (AUSTIN, TX & surrounding areas)
Latinitas Austin is offering a series of Saturday workshops for girls ages 9-15 and a family member. Parents/guardians (grandparents or other caretakers too!) and their daughters are invited to learn about new technologies and media careers! Latinitas Workshops are conducted in Spanish and English by a Latinitas workshop facilitator and incorporate cultura y arte to encourage media literacy for girls and their family members. A bonus workshop also open to boys, a great opportunity for them to learn about media through the Latina lens as well! Latinitas envisions this project as a way of creating communities that support young girls in their development as media makers!
Information for all upcoming workshops:
Cost: $10 per pair
Location: Mexican American Cultural Center, Raul Salinas Room, 600 River St., Austin, 78701
Sign-up: Call the Latinitas office at 512-861-0592 or online at
Latina Icon Photography- Frida Kahlo, Celia Cruz, Rigoberta Menchu, Selena, Justice Sonia Sotomayor are just a few notable Latinas in contemporary and past history. Have fun with digital photography and learn about the legacy of Latina leaders, artists and history-makers by recreating their look themselves at this fun, family workshop. When: Saturday, Feb 22, 12:00pm-2:00pm
Purchase a ticket: https://latinitas.ticketbud.com/latinitas-parent-daughter-workshops.
Leyendes Video Workshop - Fun for the whole family! Did your abuela scare you to sleep with tales of La Llorona? El Cucui under the bed? Learn about your favorite Latino legends while creating short cinema about them. When: Saturday, April 5, 12:00pm-2:00pm
Purchase a ticket: https://latinitas.ticketbud.com/leyendas-videos
Healthy Chica Workshop - Moms and daughters are invited to ask questions about anything about female health with experts and then will create a media project to inform others about what they have learned. When: Saturday, May 10, 12-4pm.
Purchase a ticket: https://latinitas.ticketbud.com/healthy-chica-workshop
To keep up with the Austin & Central Texas news follow Latinitas Austin on Facebook! www.facebook.com/LatinitasAustin
Latinitas offers a speakers bureau to provide culturally relevant, girl-empowerment and media-related workshops for Hispanic girls in Central and West Texas. Latinitas has offered classes, panels, presentations and events for groups such as the Girl Scouts, YWCA, Big Brother/ Big Sister, Child Protective Services, Mother Daughter Program, GENaustin, Expanding Your Horizons, schools, church groups, shelters and many other youth groups. Latinitas teaches girls skills related to journalism, poetry, film-making, audio production, web design, internet navigation, graphic art and photography. Workshops are tailored to the interests of each group and revolve around Latina empowerment themes such as confidence building, media awareness, body image, stereotypes, diversity, cultural pride, healthy relationships, violence prevention, bullying, goal setting, leadership, service learning, college preparation and several other girl-friendly topics. Latinitas receives numerous requests for training and community education services from within Texas and abroad. Latinitas offers out-of town full day and half day workshops at an hourly rate plus travel, lodging and per diem.
GIRL SCOUT BADGES
Latinitas works with the Girl Scout Central Texas Council and the Girl Scouts of the Desert Southwest to offer troop media, art, cultural and technology workshops that help girls ages 11-17 in completing requirements for Journeys and Badges.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
We are always looking to build partnerships with community groups to share our curriculum with Hispanic girls to give them an opportunity to explore media. Contact Alicia at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about workshops in El Paso, TX. Contact Laura at email@example.com for more information about programs in Austin, TX.