CHICA POWER ACADEMY:
Latinitas is hosting a series of monthly girl empowerment workshops to help girls in grades 4-8th grades to build confidence throughout the school year. Girls will meet on a monthly basis throughout the school year to hear inspirational guest speakers, participate in hands-on workshops, meet role models, build confidence, express themselves creatively and discuss girl power topics. The program will encourage girls to grow strong, healthy and confident as they develop leadership skills, connect with female role models, learn ways to overcome peer pressure, boost their self-esteem, learn about the importance of education and explore career options. Requirements: To successfully complete the program (runs Oct.-Apr.) and receive a diploma of completion, girls must attend at least 5 of the 7 scheduled workshops and complete at least 10 hours of community service.
- Day of the Girl (Oct. 10 from 4:30-7pm & Oct.11 from 10am-12:30pm at Mujer Obrera 2000 Texas Ave)
- Aim High Conference (Nov. 1 from 10am-2pm) 7000 Edgemere Blvd.
- Business Chica Conference (Dec. 6 from 10am-3pm) Southwest University (1414 Geronimo Dr.)
- Healthy Chica – Jan.; College Chica – Feb.; International Women’s Day – Mar. 7; Girl Power Fest – Apr.
- Weekly girl empowerment clubs focused on creative multimedia expression held at various public libraries, schools & housing authority sites during the school year.
Latinitas is offering a series of girl empowerment workshops in collaboration with schools, libraries, recreation centers, nonprofits, Girl Scout troops and churches. These sessions focus on helping girls build confidence through creative expression with themes such as self-esteem, media awareness, leadership, goal setting, leadership, college prep, healthy relationships, wellness and more. Latinitas hosts special events and field trips throughout the year focused on confidence-building and multimedia arts expression. Past Events: Cinema Chicas, Latinitas College Bound (Field Trip – UTEP), Women’s History Art Festival, Wonder Woman Film Screening & Girl Power Fest. To request a workshop, contact Latinitas at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 915.219.8554.
- Multimedia Arts Camp:(July 2014) Girls in grades 4-8th are invited to find their creative expression outlet in a day of local media makers and field trips to a TV station, radio station and newspaper. SIGN UP NOW
- Teen Media Academy: (July 2014) Teen girls are invited to the Latinitas media production camp. Teens will act like magazine interns, gain hands-on media experience, interview media professionals and take media trips to local stations. SIGN UP NOW