Full Name: Sandra Piedra
Employer/ Position: Rio Grande Medical Group/ Family Nurse Practitioner
School/Major: University of Texas at El Paso/ Master of Science in Nursing: Family Nurse Practitioner
1. What is your volunteer position? Volunteer What volunteer projects have you helped with? I have helped with Latinitas information booth at Adventure for your Future at University Medical Center, Nutrition presentation at Self Esteem Workshop in Las Cruces, and I help promote Latinitas events in Las Cruces.
2. How long have you’ve been volunteering with Latinitas? I recently started volunteering with Latinitas in Jan 2013.
3. How did you become interested in volunteering for Latinitas? A good friend had been volunteering with Latinitas. She told me about the organization and I was immediately interested. I loved the idea of serving as a role model and mentor for young Hispanic girls.
4. What has been your most rewarding experience as a volunteer? I really enjoyed presenting nutritional information at The Self-Esteem workshop at the Las Cruces Branigan Library. The girls had so many questions about nutrition and were genuinely interested in eating healthier. I was glad I was able to help them make better nutritional choices and keep their bodies healthy.
5. What do you like most about being a volunteer for Latinitas? I enjoy serving as role model and mentor for the young girls we serve. I feel this is a great opportunity for me to impart my knowledge and help young girls make better health decisions.
6. Why do you think an organization like Latinitas is important? I feel it is important to have role models for young women and assist them in developing a healthy self-esteem. As females, we are pressured by societal norms, cultural and family traditions to look and behave a certain way. It is important for young females to understand that they have many more choices besides what is dictated by our society or culture. Latinitas is a great organization which empowers young women and makes a difference in their everyday lives.
7. Describe your other volunteer experience and/or civic involvement. I have volunteered with Girl Scouts as troop leader. I have volunteered for Latch Key Centers which is an after-school program in low income elementary schools. I participate in local running, cycling, and triathlon events in El Paso and Las Cruces.