Does your mouth water every time you think of your mamá’s home cooked meals? Let me give you a second to reminisce on all the glorious meals and food comas you’ve survived thus far. Unfortunately, the ugly truth is that a lot of those delicious home cooked meals are filled with sodium and fats that are harmful to your growing body. Don’t fret just yet, chica! This doesn’t mean you need to say goodbye to all your favorite meals. It just means that now is the perfect time to add a healthy twist to classic dishes that will transform them and your taste buds for the better.
Let’s start with the appetizer!
- 2 Avocados
- 1/2 Onion, finely diced
- 1 Roma Tomato, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1/2 Tsp of Salt
1. Peel the avocados and lightly mash and mix them with a fork. (It’s okay if there are small chunks, they taste great!)
2. Add and mix the onion, garlic, lime juice and salt.
3. Lastly, add the diced tomatoes and stir a few times. (Adding these ensures that your guacamole doesn’t come out mushy.)
Ready for the main course? This burrito bowl has everything you crave in a burrito.
- 15 oz. Black Beans
- 15.25 oz. Corn, whole kernel
- Lime Juice
- 2 Roma Tomatoes
- 3 Cups Romaine Lettuce
- 1 Cup of Rice
- Low Fat Sour Cream
- Cook rice according to package instructions, and set aside until cool.
- Add rice to serving bowl.
- Top with lettuce, corn, black beans, tomatoes.
- Add sour cream and lime juice for extra taste. (optional)
Compliment this bowl with the delicious guacamole you just made!
- 2 Corn Tostadas
- Low Fat Refried Beans
- Shredded Cheese (The Weight Watchers brand is really good)
- 1 Roma Tomato
- Shredded Lettuce
- Heat refried beans according to the directions on the can.
- Spread the beans on the tostadas.
- Add the diced tomato and shredded lettuce.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese.
Now for some yummy dessert!
- Popsicle mold tray (found at your local Wal-Mart or Target!)
- Tropicana Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice
1. Pour your juice into the tray.
2. Place the tray in the freezer and let it freeze for at least 3 hours.
*This recipe can easily be substituted with any flavor of juice, just make sure to read the nutritional facts. Some juices are packed with too much sugar!
All these recipes are simple and healthy alternatives to your traditional Mexican recipes. Feel free to substitute any ingredients to your preference. Now, dig in!