How did the year pass by so quickly? It seems like it was just time for homecoming, and now the school year is almost over. If you have a best friend that is graduating, you might be looking for a good way to show her that you will always be there for her no matter how far away her future takes her. Try one of these DIY gift ideas that will remind your BFF of your friendship and support for years to come.
How did your BFF ever survive without you anyway?
Materials: A medium sized plastic bin, all of her favorite things and travel sized toiletries.
1. Fill the bin with her favorite snacks, drink mixes, and a picture of the two of you. Make sure to also include trial sizes of shampoo, conditioner, face wash, band aids, and laundry detergent.
2. Wait for her to thank you when the drug store is closed and she’s out of shampoo.
Graduation is an exciting time for a graduate and her friends. Make her a gift that shows her how much you support her. Even if your BFF moves across the state for college, you have an unbreakable bond that will last throughout the years.
The Sharpie Mug
Nothing is quite as comforting as a mug of tea or hot cocoa after a long day.
Materials: Plain ceramic mug, an oven, and oil-based Sharpie markers (Note: They are different from regular markers but will make your design last longer.)
1. Using the oil-based Sharpie markers create your design. It can be her favorite saying, a cool drawing, or a fancy monogram of her initials.
2. After finishing the design, let the mug sit for at least 10 minutes so the paint can dry. If thicker parts of the paint are still wet, let it dry longer or it will chip off when you bake it.
3. Put the mug in the oven while it is still cold and preheat it to 425 degrees. This will prevent the mug from cracking.
4. Once the oven has reached 425 degrees, start a timer for 30 minutes.
5. Once the 30 minutes are up, turn off the oven but leave the mug in there. Let it cool down all the way with the oven.
6. Take it out and look at your masterpiece! The mug can be hand washed, but dishwashing is not recommended.
The “Open When…” Letters
Write letters your BFF can open throughout the year.
Materials: Envelopes and stationary, markers, a pen, and anything else you want to decorate the envelopes with.
1. Write “Open When…” at the top corner of each envelope.
2. Think of letters that you want to write. Some ideas are “Open when… you need to smile,” “Open when you’re feeling homesick,” and “Open when… you ace your first exam.” The possibilities are endless. Don’t forget an “Open when… you get this,” so you can explain the letters.
3. Write each topic on front of the envelopes in marker.
4. Write a letter to go in each envelope.
5. Decorate the letters anyway you want to. You can tie them all together with a piece of ribbon to keep them all together.
The Personalized Journal
Your BFF can write down all of the exciting things she needs to remember to tell you about.
Materials: A hardcover journal, stamps with her initials, an ink pad in a color that will show on the pages, a large binder clip, and a pencil and ruler (optional)
1. Use the binder clip to secure all of the pages together minus the cover. The notebook pages will create a sturdy surface you can stamp.
2. Using the stamps and ink, stamp the initials around the edge of the notebook over and over in the correct order. You can use a large rubber band around the three stamps to create one giant stamp.
3. Open to the inside cover and stamp the initials over and over in straight lines across and down the page. You can use the ruler and pencil to create a guide if you like.
4. Make sure to write a note to your BFF on the first page of the journal.
The Mail Box
Texting is great, but there is something special about sending and receiving a letter through the mail.
Materials: Envelopes, stationary, a page of stamps, a gift box to fit everything, and a small address book (optional)
1. Put the stamps, envelopes, and stamps in the box.
2. You can get your other friends to write their addresses in the address book so your BFF can write to you.
3. Decorate the box anyway you like. Maps of places you went together and pictures of your adventures there can be glued on.