1. Focus on the Whole You
Being healthy not only means taking care of your physical health, but also focusing on your overall mental and emotional health as well.
- “You not only have to focus on being physically healthy or good eating habits, but also being mentally healthy, emotionally healthy and physically.” -Ariana
- “Being healthy by staying active and eating well will give you energy and it improves your emotional and physical being.”-Lesly
- “Keep your body healthy both mentally and physically.” – Elizabeth
2. Stay Active
Teens should get 60 minutes or more of physical activity a day according to TeenHealth.gov. Staying physically active doesn’t necessary mean going to the gym or doing complicated exercises. Finding fun physical activities can make it easy to create a healthy habit.
- “Stay fit so that you can feel good about yourself.” -Victoria.
- “Exercising is healthy like volleyball, basketball, track, tennis and dancing.” – Ydaliz
- “Go outside and get active for 60 minutes or more.” – Alyssa
- “Exercise to keep your body healthy.” -Kiara
- “Be more active to keep your body healthy.” – Ashley
- “Exercise by doing zumba, yoga or even belly dancing.” – Abigail
3. Eat Healthy Foods
For a helpful guide on eating healthy, check out the MyPlate from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Eat a balanced meal from different food group with half of your plate made up of vegetables and fruits, one-quarter of your plate should be grains and one-quarter protein.
- “Eat healthy like veggies and fruit. Eat breakfast every day. -Ashley
- “Eat vegetables and fruits. It is not good to eat junk food all the time, but it is okay to eat a little bit for it sometimes.” -Alyssa
- “You should eat a lot of green vegetables and eat lots of colorful fruits to stay strong and safe.” – Natalie
- “We should eat more healthy stuff then junk food.” – Kiara
- You have to stay healthy and don’t eat a lot of junk food.” -Senorina
4. Be Confident & Take Care of Your Mental Health
Being healthy also means having a healthy body image.
- “Don’t listen to what others think or say to you.” -Elizabeth
- “You should also not compare yourself to other people and never give up on yourself.” – Victoria
- “I’ve been struggling with my self-esteem for a while, but I learned how to stay healthy mentally and physically. I know that I’ll eventually learn how to be content with me and my body.” -Ariana
- “You shouldn’t criticize yourself or compare yourself to other people.” – Senorina
- “Don’t think negative about yourself and love who you are.” -Elizabeth
5. Make Healthy Choices
Make sure that you stay away from toxic substances from smoking to alcohol and drugs.
- “Don’t do drugs like alcohol or smoking.” – Ydaliz
- “Smoking can cause a lot of bad stuff like it can cause cancer and it will cause a lot of problems.” – Kiara
- “Don’t smoke. It can cause lung cancer.” – Avery
- “Don’t drink alcohol. Too much beer can give you brain damage.” -Daniella