Valentine’s Day is a fun holiday full of pink, red, hearts, and of course, chocolate – but aside from that, it is a day to show your family, friends, and your crush how much you care. And what better way to show just that with a hand-made card or gift! So put down your wallet and step away from the store bought cards, chocolate heart, and stuffed animals and try something a little different this year. Here are some creative Valentine’s DIYs to spruce up your gift giving!
Note: All materials used were from Dollar General or Wal-Mart and can be found at any local store.
Materials: Hot glue gun, scissors, ruler, fine point marker, 3 foam sheets (white and two colors of your choice). Optional: Glitter.
- With a white foam sheet, trace a rectangle to be your “post card” and cut it out. The dimensions are up to your discretion (dimensions pictured: 3 ¾ x 2 ¼).
- Using the fine tip marker, write your ‘to and from’ on the post card.
- Then, using another foam sheet of a different color, create a fun design to be the frame. The frame should be slightly smaller than the dimensions of your post card. (Pictured: frame is a quarter of an inch smaller than the post card).
- Next, with the last foam sheet, trace and cut out hearts for decoration. You can make the hearts different sizes or even add some glitter to make the card more fun. Note: precut foam hearts can be brought at stores, as well.
- Hot glue the frame and foam hearts to the post card and fill in your ‘To and From’ to give to your Valentine!
Flores para Mamá
Materials: Small vase or jar, artificial flowers, ribbon, hot glue gun, scissors. Mini chocolates. Optional: rhinestones, glitter or spray glitter, glass pebbles, and beads.
- Cut each ribbon of desired length – if you’re using a thin ribbon (like the red pictured) cut two strips – make sure it can be wrapped and tied around your vase
- Place a dot of hot glue around the neck of your vase to keep your ribbon in place
- Once glued, wrap and tie ribbon into a bow and add glue behind the knot of bow to keep it in place
- For extra decoration: add beads to the end of the ribbon and tie a knot at the base of the beads
- For extra decoration: can glue rhinestones on ribbon
- Fill the jar with your choice of mini chocolates or if not chocolates, glass pebbles are excellent jar fillers, as well
- Place bouquet of flowers in vase
- For extra decoration: add glitter to your flowers
- Adjust flowers in vase and it’s ready to gift to your mom
Materials: Card-stock or decorated scrapbook paper, pipe cleaners, cotton balls, glue, markers, pencil. Optional: Rhinestones, glitter, hole punchers,and ribbon.
- Pick a card-stock as your main color (pictured: red) and then trim off a centimeter around the cardstock that you want as the inside of the card (pictured: heart paper)
- Grab two pipe cleaners of the same color and create the cursive letters “Lo-“ with one and “-ve” with the second; leaving extra pipe cleaner on the “v” so it can connect with the “o”. Trim off extra pipe cleaner, if needed.
- Glue your “Love” to the front of the card.
- Place the design with glue and sprinkle glitter on top of the glue.
- Glue rhinestones, if desired.
- Trace a heart on the cover of the card.
- Fill the heart with glue and place cotton balls to fill the heart. You can tear apart cotton balls to fill accordingly.
- Again, you can create a glittery design with glue.
- Finally, write a cute message with the colorful markers on the inside and present it to your Valentine.
*Note: the ribbon pictured was not used, but can be cut into small bows to glue on cover for extra decoration
It’s Mice to Meet You
Materials: Hershey’s Kisses, Googly eyes (or black beads and white marker), pencil, hot glue gun, pipe cleaner, scissors, and card-stock (brown, white, black, or pink).
- Grab your two card-stock colors for the mouse’s ears, and cut them both in the shape of a “D”. Make sure to have one color slightly smaller than the other in order to form the ears.
- Glue both “D” shaped colors together.
- Next, glue ears at the base of a Hershey kiss.
- Then, glue the second Hershey kiss to the base. The chocolates must be base to base.
- Remove the Hershey’s Kiss ribbon on both Kisses.
- Glue black beads to the front Hershey’s kiss to form the mouse’s eyes. Googly eyes or black beads will suffice.
- Cut the pipe cleaner to the desired length for the tail.
- Glue the pipe cleaner or insert the pipe cleaner into the foil of the back of the mouse. You can shape the pipe cleaner to any shape.
- Make as many mice as needed and hand out to friends and family for a cute little gift!