Keeping track of little tubes of lip balm can prove to be difficult for many during these cold and dry winter months — in reality, keeping a lip balm for a year can be a challenge. If you’re tired of buying a new lip balm every so often, or even want to try something new, you can make your own. Making a batch of this easy-to-make lip balm can save money and can be a fun way to spend an afternoon or make cute personal gifts for your friends.
Ingredients and Materials:
- 4 tbs coconut oil (this can be purchased at any grocery store)
- 3 tbs shae butter, or petroleum jelly (available at craft stores or health food stores)
- 1 tbs shaved beeswax (available at craft stores)
- Microwave safe bowl and stirring utensil
- Container to hold lip balm (bottle caps, old containers, or even the travel size small container from your local store)
1. Mix these ingredients in a microwave safe bowl
2. Microwave mixture in 30 second intervals until completely melted. This will give you the base for your lip balm.
After this you can basically play and experiment with different ingredients depending on what kind of lip balm you want. You can add a drop of peppermint extract if you want a minty lip balm (or any kind of extract oil), or some powdered make-up for color (kool-aid will sometimes work).
Once you are done mixing in any additional ingredients in your lip balm mixture, pour the mixture into a small container (or several if you are gifting it). Once the mixture is in a small container, place it in the fridge for a couple of hours until it hardens.