Valentine’s Day is around the corner, which means it’s never too early to start prepping a gift for a loved one. This cute DIY bouquet of cupcakes roses is both memorable and easy to make. A memorable gift for less than $20, this bouquet of cupcakes is guaranteed to make your loved one smile.
First, gather the following ingredients:
- 6-inch Flowerpot (clean)
- Foam Ball 6-in (size may vary depending on the size of the flower pot; make sure the foam ball fits perfectly in the flowerpot)
- 2 sheets of green tissue paper
- 6 wooden sticks
- 3 table spoons of fondue chocolate or normal chocolate frosting
- 1 packet of Oreo cookies or ANY black cookies
- 1 box of cake mix
- Ingredients listed in the cake mix box (oil, water, eggs)
- 24 white or cream cupcake papers are preferred (or matching colors)
- 2 cupcake baking pans
- 1 container of Vanilla Frosting (COLD, not at room temperature)
- Food coloring of your choice
- 1 Cake and pastry decorating set
To make the flower pot extra special, you can decorate it by either painting it, adding a ribbon to it, or leaving it as is to make it seem like an authentic bouquet.
GETTING THE FOAM BALLS READY
The first step is to prepare the foam balls by covering the top part with chocolate frosting. In my experience, this step should be the first thing you should do. It takes a long time for the frosting to dry even if you place it in the fridge. You can complete this process by placing enough chocolate frosting in a bowl and heating the frosting in the microwave for 45 seconds to a minute.
Tip: Keep track of the time. The chocolate will burn if it’s more than one minute.
After the chocolate has melted, cover half of the foam ball completely; don’t be afraid to use your hands. Lastly, just wait for the frosting to dry.
PREPARING THE CUPCAKES
It’s time for the cupcakes to be made!
- First, open your Cake Mixture and place it in a container and follow the instructions in the back. Mine says to add 1 cup of water, 1/3 of a cup of oil, and 3 eggs.
- Next, mix all of your ingredients together until you no longer have lumps in your dough.
- Place the cupcake papers on the cupcake molds and start adding your mixture to each section. For the process of filling cupcake papers, you can use a spoon or an ice cream scoop.
- Make sure to fill the papers about half-way (not all the way to the top!). Remember that cupcakes rise, so, if you put too much of the mixture, it can lead to making a mess trying to pull them out!
- Then, when you’re done adding the mixture to the papers, pre-heat your oven to 350 F. Ask a parent or adult to help you with the oven.
TAKE A BREAK
While you wait for your delicious cupcakes to bake (which can take 20-45 minutes; check the cake mix box), start planning out the color of the roses.
AFTER THE CUPCAKES ARE DONE
Let the cupcakes completely cool down; if you do not let them cool down, the frosting will melt and will mess up your flowers.
WHILE THEY COOL DOWN
- Add the foam ball to the middle portion of the gardening pot.
- Then, place the white frosting in a small bowl and add enough food coloring to the frosting.
- Mix the food coloring and frosting.This will be the color of the rose petals for the bouquet! The amount of colored frosting that you make will depend on how much frosting you want to add to each cupcake.Tip: If you want a lighter color, don’t add a lot of food coloring.
ONCE THE CUPCAKES HAVED COOLED
This part is easier with the help from an adult.
- Place your cupcakes in the foam ball using the wooden sticks. If the wooden sticks are too long, use scissors or a knife to cut the wooden stick to a desired length.
- Starting from the bottom to the top, place the cupcakes right above the natural line of the gardening pot.
- Grab a stick and place it in the middle of the cupcake; do this process slowly, if you do it too fast, you can make a hole in your cupcake.
- Do the same for every cupcake, and follow the natural line of the gardening pot as you add them to the gardening to pot.
- If you feel that a cupcake is still loose, you can add more sticks in the areas that need additional support.
AFTER PLACING THE CUPCAKES IN THE GARDENING POT
- Grab the Oreo cookies, remove the frosting (white part), and break your ores cookies.
- Then, place them in the openings of the side of the chocolate foam ball. The ores cookies will be the “soil” of the plant.
- Next, you are finally ready to start decorating the cupcakes! Using a pastry decorating set, grab the star figure pattern, fill the pastry bag with your colored frosting, (make sure it’s cool; this will help make it come out smooth instead of runny), and start adding petals to the cupcakes.
- Place the tip of the decorating bag almost an inch between the cupcake, slowly squeeze the bag with the other hand, and start decorating the cupcake.
- Grab the green tissue paper and cut the edges of the green paper — this will be the leaves.
- Place the green paper near the areas where you placed the crumbled Oreo cookies.
Be proud of yourself, chica! In order to preserve the freshness of the cupcakes, the gift should be given 1-2 days after making and decorating the cupcakes.