Have you ever studied intensely for a test but were extremely disappointed when you received your grade back? Don’t fret, chica! We have all been there. Instead of going out and buying a pint of ice cream to cure your study blues, take a moment to fill out this quiz and learn some techniques that will help you take your next exam by storm.
1. Where do you prefer to sit in class?
A. In the front row so I can see the board clearly.
B. It doesn’t matter as long as I can hear the teacher.
C. Towards the back so I have a good view of everything.
2. What past time do you prefer?
A. Watching my favorite tv shows and movies.
B. Listening to my favorite music.
C. Sports or any type of physical activity.
3. When I study I like to ____________.
A. Be alone in a quiet area/
B. Be in a group.
C. Play games that reinforce the material.
4. If I’m trying to remember something I like to ____________.
A. Write it down over and over.
B. Record it and listen to it over and over.
C. Write it down and read it aloud over and over.
5. What subject is your favorite?
B. Foreign Language
6. When you first meet someone, what do you remember about them the most?
7. How do you get your news?
A. I scroll through online content.
B. I like to listen to it on the radio.
C. I like to flip through a news paper or magazine.
8. What word best describes you?
9. How would you describe your style?
A. Very colorful, my style is always changing.
B. I like to keep up with trends.
C. I like comfort.
If you answered mostly A, you are a visual learner.
Visual learners grasp concepts best by seeing the material. You excel at spelling and like colors and fashion.
Study tips for visual learners:
- Study in a quiet area
- Create outlines and diagrams when taking notes
- Use highlighters, circle words and underline when reading
- Watch videos that reinforce the concepts
- Make color coded flashcards
If you answered mostly B, you are an auditory learner.
Auditory learners grasp concepts best through hearing things. You are good at remembering names. You are not afraid to speak up in class, and you also really enjoy music.
Study tips for auditory learners:
- Form study groups
- Record lectures
- Play word association games
- Read assignments and directions out loud
- Create rhymes
If you answered mostly C, you are a physical learner.
Physical learners grasp concepts by experiencing or doing things. You can’t sit still for long periods of time, and you enjoy adventure books and movies.
Study tips for physical learners:
- Take breaks when reading and studying
- Role play
- Go on field trips
- Use flash cards
- Draw pictures in your notes to reinforce material
Sometimes you can by a hybrid between two different learning techniques, so don’t be afraid to try out study habits from different learning styles. Test these tips and adjust them to your study habits and prepare to be amazed. Happy studying, chicas!