Latinitas share their self-esteem advice, thoughts on true beauty, ideas on how media impacts girls and their confidence tips.
How does media negatively impact girls’ body image?
Media affects girls by making them think they are not pretty enough or that they are not wearing a pretty size and it makes girls want to change themselves in the wrong way.
-Jacklyn, Nicole & Kayla
Why is it important to have a good body image?
- So they don’t have to feel bad about themselves.
- So you could stay healthy.
- So young teenage girls won’t self abuse themselves because they think they are ugly or hideous.
- They will be happy with themselves and love life and not hate it.
- So they could think good things about themselves and not think they are not pretty.
- So they won’t lower their self-esteem.
-Destiny, Kendrea, Desiree, Julia, Lanal
What are the negative consequences of having a low self-esteem?
- Harming yourself
- Feeling less confident
- Thinking low of yourself
- Being angry
- Feeling depressed and unpleasant.
-Layla, Ashley, Alex, Iris, Savanna
Why do you think photoshopping model photos is bad?
- Because if they don’t like your picture they change it.
- Because it is not the real you.
- Even if you think you are pretty, they change you up.
- You don’t look the same.
-Nevaeh, Chriss, Katelyn, Nicole
Do you think altered photos can hurt girl’s self-esteem?
- It is awful because they don’t look that way and girls wish they were them.
- It makes me angry because we want to be appreciated for who we are and not just what we look like.
- It makes girls sad because they don’t appreciate how they look.
- It makes girls sad because they don’t actually look that way.
-Avan, Dyani, Aileen
Why is it important not to compare yourself to models?
- Because you are beautiful the way you are
- You should just be yourself all the time
- Models aren’t perfect they just use photoshop.
-Ayla & Amanda
What would you tell a friend if she wasn’t confident in herself?
- To believe in yourself
- To think positive
- Don’t listen to other negative opinions
- Be who you are
-Natalie, Alyssia, Natalia
What advice do you have to help girls boost their self-esteem?
- Remember people don’t all look the same.
- You are pretty in your own way.
- We should focus on the brain and not just the body.
- You are perfect the way you are.
- You don’t need makeup to look perfect. You are beautiful the way you are.
- Everyone is different.
- We can’t all be models.
- Say positive things about yourself.
- Remember a lot of the models are photoshopped and don’t look that way for real.
-Amree, Tatiana, Johnnie, Diamond