Summer is around the corner, which means the paletas, raspados, and other summer treats are going to be plentiful. Here are three easy homemade treats that will satisfy those summer cravings.
Strawberry and Kiwifruit Popsicles
- Popsicle molds (if you cannot find these, plastic cups and popsicle sticks can work as well.)
- 4 Strawberries
- 2 Kiwifruits
- 100% white grape juice
1. Make sure you wash both the kiwi fruits and strawberries before you start. Remove the stems from the strawberries and carefully peel the kiwi fruits.
2.Next, after you ask an adult for help, cut both the strawberries and kiwi fruits into round slices.
3. Once you have all the slices, arrange and fill in the molds and/or cups with the fruit slices.
4. Then, add 100% white grape juice to the molds/cups. Be sure to only add enough to cover the slices. If you are using a mold, be sure to close it. If you are using a cup, be sure to add a popsicle.
5. Leave in the freezer for about 6 hours or until the juice is completely frozen.
Remember, you can always get creative and mix and match different fruits and juice flavors!
Vasitos de Pepino
- 1 cucumber
- 1 lemon
- Chili powder
- Crunchy peanuts (cacahuates japoneses)
- Mango or tamarind candy
1. Wash the cucumber, cut off both ends, and peel it completely.
2. Next, cut the cucumber in 3 sections.
3. Once you have the 3 pieces of cucumber, remove the center of each one using a spoon. Be sure to not go completely through it because the cucumber should resemble a cup. Then, put it aside.
4.In a small bowl add just enough Chamoy, lemon and chili powder to make a paste.
5.Now that you have the cucumber cups, add the paste to the edges of the cucumber cup as well as more chili powder. You can do these last two steps by flipping the cucumber cups upside down and then rub them on the plates with the paste and chili. This will coat the edges of the cucumber cups.
6.Once the edges are filled with the paste and the chili, fill the cups with more Chamoy, mango or tamarind candy and peanuts.
7.Add lemon, salt and enjoy instantly!
These two fruit filled snacks go perfect with this hot summer weather, but if you have more of a sweet tooth this next recipe may be just the right treat for you.
- 5 Oreo cookies (or as many as you would like)
- 1 cup of milk
- Chocolate syrup or liquid chocolate
- 2 cups of vanilla ice cream
- Whipped Cream
- Cinnamon or chocolate sticks (optional)
1. Crumble the five Oreo cookies into tiny pieces and set them aside.
2. In a blender add one cup of milk, two teaspoons of chocolate syrup, two cups of vanilla ice cream, and ice.
3. Add chocolate syrup to the sides of a cup. Then, pour the mixture of chocolate, milk, ice cream and ice you just blended into the cup.
4. Add whipped cream to the top and sprinkle the Oreo crumbles.
5. Add a cinnamon stick, chocolate sticks, a cherry or even a whole Oreo as a yummy decoration. Don’t like these options? Any other ingredient that comes to mind can be added.