What comes to mind when you hear the phrase “self-respect”? Ask yourself this: how much do you value self-respect? Self-respect is valued differently by people, but, bottom line, self- respect is something very important to have.
What is self-respect?
The reason self-respect is so great to have is because you know yourself best, and the first rule about having self-respect is being happy with you are. In order to be happy, you need to treat yourself with love and care first. Like who you are, and respect that. Never be ashamed of who you are.
Juli Mayhan, junior at the University of Incarnate World, agrees that self-respect is a necessary thing to have, especially as a teen. “Young women are constantly judged by the way they look. A woman needs to hold herself with self-respect, and people will start treating her with respect. We don’t want to be used and taken for granted, so in order to get the respect we want, we need to have self-respect for ourselves,” says Juli.
Isabella Benitez, 14, says she has self-respect for herself by not cussing and not undergoing peer-pressure. “I like that I can be myself by not having to dress a certain way or what every girl at school is wearing. I wear what I want to wear because it’s more comfortable for me. Also, I think I sound better by not having to cuss. Sometimes, it just doesn’t sound good.” Isabella knows what she likes, and she’s going by her rules! Isabella is setting a good example by not trying too hard for attention, like others may be trying to do.
If you feel something is not right, and this isn’t the usual choice you would make, then don’t do it. Impressing someone by being the unique lady you truly are is ten-times better instead of looking fooling and making a joke out of yourself.
Though there are girls who may be getting attention, some are doing it in a way that does not benefit them. You can get people to like you by not having to lower your standards. It will also be good for you to have those friends who value the same self-respect. Why? Because they will most likely be a better friend towards you by respecting how you are.
“I think self-respect [occurs] when a lady knows her worth and doesn’t settle for anything less than that. It also means standing by your morals and beliefs and not to let anything or anyone interfere with them. I have self-respect by standing by my morals and what I believe in and following through with them by the actions I make,” says Juli.
You may be asking how you can boost your self-respect. Well, here are 5 ways how:
- Try to always have good mannerisms, such as saying please and thank you, and always be considerate towards others. Others will respect you more for doing this.
- Never cuss! It is not lady-like and sounds very tacky. Use other words instead that show you are smarter than having to stoop low by using profanity.
- If you feel whatever you may be wearing isn’t appropriate or if it’s uncomfortable for you, don’t wear it.
- Love yourself for who you are, and also take care of yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually as best as you can.
- Treat yourself the way you would want others to treat you! Demonstrate to others how much you value yourself and show them your worth. Hopefully, this will show them how you want to be treated.
Always remember, if you want to get further in life, it’ll be easier to have self-respect than to constantly seek everyone else’s approval and respect. With self-respect they will see you are a strong lady who has a good head on her shoulders; be classy!