Since its inception in 2002, Latinitas, Inc. has been empowering Hispanic girls through media and technology, and has seen many pivotal points along the way.
- The vision of Latinitas was developed by a group of University of Texas at Austin students.
- Latinitas became an official student organization at the University.
- The Board of Directors were formed and Latinitas incorporated.
- Latinitasmagazine.org was launched as first digital magazine for Hispanic girls.
- Latinitas launched an outreach campaign aimed at empowering Latina youth through media workshops at local schools and nonprofit groups.
- Ballet East became fiscal sponsor of Latinitas, allowing the agency to receive tax-exempt contributions.
- Latinitas held first fundraiser.
- Club Latinitas launched at Martin Middle School, AISD.
- Latinitas hosted an anniversary party to honor a year of publication.
- Latinitasmagazine.org expanded to publish first digital magazine for Latina teens.
- Latinitas initiated a teen advisory board to provide feedback on the magazine.
- Latinitas started a teen reporter program to train aspiring Latina journalists.
- Latinitas partnered with Youth Encuentro to host first summer camp workshops.
- Latinitas began a series of Saturday Camps at the Pan Am Recreation Center.
- Latinitas was recognized as best group for inspiring journalist by Austin Chronicle
- Latinitas hosted first Latinitasfest in a partnership with the Lone Star Girl Scout Council
- Latinitas staff and outreach participants were featured on the national television program American Latino, which focuses on Hispanic culture in the United States. The segment aired in nearly 100 cities nationwide, including Puerto Rico.
- Latinitas was the focus of a short documentary titled “Chispas: A Spark Within.”
- Latinitas was honored by the Greater Austin Hispanic Chamber of Commerce as “La Luz de la Comunidad/ The Light of the Community” for community service.
- Latinitas partnered with Austin Independent School District to host six after-school clubs
- Latinitas expanded as the a featured workshop presenter for the Massachusetts Conference for Women
- Latinitas was presented with a Certificate of Congratulations by City of Austin Mayor Will Wynn
- Latinitas expanded after school programming to seven campuses
- Club Latinitas photography featured at Austin Children’s Museum gallery
- Latinitas launched after-school programs in Round Rock, TX
- Austin American Statesman published 2-page article on Latinitas by girls in Latinitas.
- Latinitas hired staff and acquired 501 c 3 status
- Latinitas launched its own social network at MyLatinitas.com
- Latinitas expanded with a new headquarters in El Paso, TX
- After school club count jumped to over 20
- Latinitas featured as “Power Latinas” in Austin Woman Magazine (May)
- Latinitas Co-founder was honored as the Sor Juana Young Woman of Distinction
- Latinitas serves as host for youth program at the TX Conference for Women
- Saturday Camps kicked off in San Marcos, TX
- Latinitas obtained a new office space
- Latinitas printed its first issue with the help of El Mundo newspaper
- Latinitas received a community service award from the SXSW Interactive Festival
- Latinitas Co-Founder was honored with an award by the National Hispana Leadership Institute
- Latinitas Co-Founder was recognized by the YWCA Woman of Distinction award
- Club Latinitas launched in Horizon, Texas
- Latinitas began offering workshops in New Mexico
- Club Latinitas kicked off in Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Latinitas launched a Teen Leadership Institute
- Latinitas launched the Youth Editorial Advisory Board
- Latinitas recognized as a Racial Justice Ambassador from the YWCA
- Latinitas hosted first workshop in Dallas, Texas
- Latinitas publishes a glossy print edition of our magazine
- Latinitas honored as a Social Revolucion New Americano Award at SXSW Interactive
- Latinitas hosted 1st Code Chica Conference promoting computer and video game programming
- Latinitas honored as the Positive Impact Award Winner at the Hispanicize Conference in Miami