Current Events & News
LATINITAS UPCOMING EVENTS
CHICA POWER FEST – (4/16, EL PASO, TX)
WHEN: April 16 from 9:30am-3:30pm
WHERE: UTEP Miner Village – Summit Hall (2401 N. Oregon)
The Chica Power Fest encourages girls to build confidence, discover their voice, express themselves, promote healthy lifestyles and make wise decisions. Inspiring guest speakers will help girls learn about issues girls face and discover real solutions on how to overcome these challenges. This day of girl empowerment is aimed at local girls 10 to 18 years old and is hosted by the UTEP Center for Civic Engagement and the Women in Business Association. The event will feature informative and inspirational workshops, guest speakers, panelists, and multimedia presentations led by local female leaders on topics such as body image, confidence, peer pressure, media literacy, leadership, healthy relationships, cultural identity and bullying. For more information, call 219.8554, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://www.eventbrite.com/e/chica-power-fest-tickets-24303532520
LATINAS IN PROGRESS
The Latinitas team is proud to partner with the Hispanic Women’s Network of Texas for the Latinas in Progress college readiness program. This HWNT educational program assists Latinas in attaining higher education. This program includes college preparation and leadership workshops as well as service and cultural opportunities. This program also offers college scholarship opportunities to members. We are accepting applications for the next program taking place September 2016-May 2017 with monthly Saturday workshops. To join, complete the application here: http://hwntelpaso.blogspot.com/p/latinas-in-progress.html
- Multimedia Arts Camp:(July) Girls in grades 4-8th are invited to find their creative expression outlet in a day of local media makers and field trips to a TV station, radio station and newspaper. Camps are Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm at 7000 Edgemere. For more information, call 915.219.8554 or email email@example.com.
- Clubs: Weekly girl empowerment clubs focused on creative multimedia expression held at various public libraries, schools & housing authority sites during the school year.
- Workshops: Latinitas is offering a series of girl empowerment workshops in collaboration with schools, libraries, recreation centers, nonprofits, Girl Scout troops and churches. To request a workshop, contact Latinitas at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 915.219.8554.
Get Involved & Make a Difference
- Want to get help empower young Latintas to build confidence? Complete our volunteer application.
- Help young Latinitas reach their educational goals by donating to our scholarship fund.
- Participate in one of our upcoming benefit events.
- Give an item on our wish list and make an impact. School supplies, art supplies, and computer and media equipment are greatly in need.
The Latinitas headquarters was established in El Paso, Texas in 2008. Latinitas Co-Founder, Alicia Rascon, relocated to her hometown of El Paso expanding the shared vision with Co-Founder Laura Donnelly-Gonzalez into West Texas and New Mexico. Since its local launch in 2008, Latinitas has quickly grown to provide after-school clubs, summer camps, internships and special events from its El Paso headquarters in the greater Rio Grande region including West Texas and New Mexico. Since then, Latinitas outreach programs have reached over 3,000 local girls and partnered with over 30 local schools, nonprofits, libraries and community centers in El Paso, Canutillo, San Elizario, Horizon, Texas as well as Las Cruces, Anthony, Sunland Park, Organ, Silver City and Deming, New Mexico. With a variety of enriching experiences, Latina girls discover their voice and develop media skills while building confidence and a solid foundation for their future.